Thursday, December 8, 2011

Babysitting...

I sit here with my three boys, watching them watch Peanuts, while my beloved has darted off to a "Girls only"-church party, and I reminisce about a conversation that was held several months ago about dads who "babysit" their children while mom gets a night out.  For every man that says this in jest, I fear there are just as many who feel that this is just what they are doing.  It is bothersome to me that a father would consider spending time with his children as a "burden".  I look at every minute amount of time that I get to spend with my boys as a blessing.

Growing up, I always wanted a dad at home.  However, coming from a divorce home, he couldn't be there as much as I wanted.  I always promised myself that I would be there for mine children.  Despite missing a couple of birthdays and holidays, I have kept up my promise.  I have waded through Pokemon, Superman, Greek mythology, and dragons.  I have watched cartoons that did not make sense to me, but made them laugh.  I have sat up with them and their bad dreams at 3 o'clock in the morning, even though I had to go to work two hours later.

But that is what I do because I am a dad...more importantly, I am their dad.  So when you hear a father say that he will be stuck at home on Friday night, babysitting his children, explain to him that his choices and God's grace put those children in his life and that they are to be looked at as a blessing, not a burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment