Friday, April 27, 2012

So I'm in Seattle...

So like I said in me last post:  I moved to Seattle.  It has been 62 days since I have touched, held, hugged, and kissed my family.  When I go here, I was homeless, unemployed, and alone.  I had a hotel room that was paid for for a week, a rental car for a week, and some cash to eat on.  But nothing in concrete - just "a wing and a prayer" as they say.  But I had a plan.  I always have a plan.  And if the first plan doesn't work out, I go on to the next, and then the next, and so on, until a plan works out.

My first week was filled with interviews, tests, background checks, and the like.  I was behind my personal schedule, but nothing that couldn't be made up.  And I knew that this was where my family was meant to be...I knew that time would tell if this was to pan out.  I also knew that I was part of two calendars:  mine and The Big Man's.

I knew I would get a permanent career but I didn't know when, so I had to find temporary employment.  But no one would hire me; I was "overqualified" is what I was told.  Three weeks went by and I was starting to second guess myself, as was my wife and friends back home.  But I was not going to give up that easily.  Enter Northwest Security Services...

On a whim, I answered a classified advertisement for a security officer postion that I had found online.  That was a Thursday.  I was at work, on post, on Friday. Then on Monday, they sent me to what woud be a permanent position for every day, Monday-Friday, 8-5.  I was also given an assignment for the weekend shifts...so that equals 7 days a week.

It turns out that this was the best thing that could happen to me at the time.  I met a lot of great people there.  They introduced me to other people that worked there.  Through the many connections, I met a young lady in Human Resources that took an interest in me bettering the life for my family.  Before the end of the second week, I had emailed her my resume and she had began giving me job descriptions at companies in the area.  One of those was at Symetra Financial.

I applied.  I got an interview.  Then I prayed.  It was a dream job.  Pay was great, benefits were outstanding, and I was no longer a bullet catcher.  Then I got a second interview a week later.  Then two days later, I got a third and final interview.  So I prayed some more.  And I asked everyone else to pray too.

Then I got the call....I got the job.  It was an amazing, surreal feeling to know that my deram of being financially secure enough to take care of my family was coming true.  But what was even crazier to me was that I learned something.  When you turn it over to Him, you ask Him for what you want, let it go and let Him work on it in his own time, you learn that God still delivers.  I don't care what anyone says: I did not do this on my own...He did it.

So now, as a father, I can tell my boys that there is nothing unmanly about prayer - despite what the general populace thinks.  The key is...ask, then turn it over to Him.  If it is His will - it will be.  But one must realize that is has to be HIS WILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment